Friday, December 4, 2009

My Nemesis

We attend a very large church in our area. A mega-church, if you will, with over 6,000 people in attendance every weekend. Its a really healthy forward-thinking church despite some things we disagree with.

Almost all of our friends attend our church and we are pretty active members.

But there is this one woman in particular who really irritates me.

Think back to high school. Remember the head of the cheerleading squad who wasn't extremely beautiful, but had money and style and status and personality and that made her appear to be a goddess? Remember how everyone liked her and even those that hated her longed for her acceptance?

Let me introduce you to My Nemesis (thats what I call her to my husband).

Her husband is on staff and she is the church diva. When we first moved to this area and began attending this church I, being the outgoing social creature that I am, really wanted to meet and connect with other women my age. I met her the second time we were at church. I told her I wanted to get connected and wanted to join a women's group or a mom's group. So I joined a mom's Bible study. My Nemesis lead it and from the get go I could tell she did not like me.

I had no idea why... I had never been rude to her. I didn't even know her.

But I figured that in some small way I must have intimidated her. Was it because I was getting very involved quickly? Was it because I am nearly 10 years younger and attractive? Outgoing and unafraid to meet new people and encounter new experiences? Did I remind her of herself and therefore become competition?

Although all the other ladies in the group were very nice (albeit, a tad too materialistic), another attendee and myself started our own Bible study, which I still lead 3 years later.

My Nemesis and I move within the same circles. We share friends and so from time to time we are at the same birthday parties, social events, etc. The strange thing is that at these events we always end up talking and I find myself intrigued by her. She seems like such a good mom and Christian. We have very similar interests and tastes. I could see her mentoring me in some capacity had circumstances been different (like if she actually liked me).

Except that I get the very strong impression that she loathes me. When our paths cross at church, she looks the other way and rarely says hi. If she does happen to say hi, there is a rude undertone to her voice, an irritation at the fact that she ran into and has to be polite.

I think this bothers me so much because I have never had someone not like me, just because. Usually you make that decision after you've gotten to know someone. And believe me, I've had plenty of people not like me for valid reasons. But she doesn't even know me.

Am I alone here? Does anyone else share in my experiences?

3 comments:

  1. Hi - Visiting via SITS. :) I think I have felt like people have decided not to like me from the get go, but I am not really thinking of anyone specific right now. It would bother me though because I think I am a pretty likable person. It seems strange that she is so aloof at church yet you have gotten to know her a bit (at least chatted) in other settings. She may just be really insecure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my adult life? Not really.

    People at my church are all very caring and I have never felt unwelcome -- even though most of them have known each other their whole lives and we are just the newbies!

    I'd try talking to her one on one more. Many times, shyness, etc. can come off as someone not liking you. I wouldn't jump to conclusions. You just never can tell what someone is thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You never know what is on the other side of that person. I am a very shy person and have been told that I sometimes come off like I don't like someone or want to get to know them.

    Stopping by from SITS.

    ReplyDelete